Re: [Evolution] Evolution over ethernet

On 15 Nov 2001, Rebecca J. Walter wrote:
On Thu, 2001-11-15 at 20:46, Janne Morén wrote:
A reason people haven't run it remotely is probably that it's quite
painful to do so; part of it is the constant redrawing (which is barely
noticeable locally, but is slow over the net), and partially because
it's so difficult  (or, at least, was) to get it running over an SSH
connection at all. Only after a remote 'killev' and 'oaf-slay' would I
get anything more than just the mail-shell (and then only sometimes -
looked like a timeout issue or something).

I have been using this for weeks over ssh without a problem!! Where are
other people having problems?? It doesn't appear slow to me either.  I
am running it on an ethernet.. by ssh to the server then exporting the
name of the local display and starting evo.  killing and slaying is not
required.

ssh to the server, then exporting directly to your local display, or ssh
to the server, and DISPLAY back through the proxied X connection?

I suspect people with problems are exporting back through the ssh tunnel.
X is a crappy protocol to do this with, you get lots of little bitty
packets which need to be encrypted then decrypted.