Re: [Evolution] Evolution over ethernet

open terminal.
xhost +server
ssh -l login server
export DISPLAY=name of local display
evolution &

Sorry. I didn't knwo how to answer your question exactly, so those are
the steps I use.

ssh to the server, then exporting directly to your local display, or ssh
to the server, and DISPLAY back through the proxied X connection?

I suspect people with problems are exporting back through the ssh tunnel.
X is a crappy protocol to do this with, you get lots of little bitty
packets which need to be encrypted then decrypted.