Re: [Evolution] Concernd abot hogging system

On 24 May 2001 20:06:23 +1200, Rob Brown-Bayliss wrote:
So I deleted the whole 56 meg and now it it soooo faaast, at least 20
times faster!

As I mentioned before (in a message that never made it to the list -- it
must be configured to not accept email from non-member accounts), I
think your kernel version is playing a role here. Evolution is scanning
a file that's larger than your free memory, which means that the kernel
has to swap things in and out. And this scan-once-never-reference-again
behaviour is one that seems to give the early 2.4 (possibly current 2.4)
kernels troubles.

Anyway, if you accumulate a large amount of mail again, be sure to try
2.4.4 or 2.2.19, both of which have better VM systems than the previous
versions.

I guess there is a lesson here, so I am rearanging my filters to dump
all mailists into indivdual folder rather than one giant holding
folder...

Well, that's a good idea in any case.

Ray
--