[Evolution] Lock file error

I set up Evolution to use my Unix mailbox for the standard mail Inbox, for
the sake of trying it out.  It created the first sample message, and I was
able to send mail from the programme.  But when I sent a response back t
the mail I sent, I cannot retrieve it in Evolution.  Instead, I get the
error:

      "Error while performing operation:
     Could not create lock file for /var/spool/mail/jelabarr: Permission
denied"

I checked the permissions there, and both owner (jelabarr) and group (mail)
have read/write permissions.

The messages I found in the archives referred to mail files being on NFS
shares, but these are all local files.  I am running RedHat 7.0, with Gnome
1.4 updates & Evolution 0.10.