Re: [Evolution] Orphaned Maildir Mail

On 22 Mar 2001 09:54:16 -0800, Thomas H. Ptacek wrote:

Helu. Evolution has been working beautifully for me for the past
few months, thanks for the great work.

I'm having a small problem right now. I am using the 0.9
2001.03.14.20.47 build with maildir folders. Occasionally, when
I fetch mail from our POP3 server, Evolution will fail to
index the mail.

Most recently, I took in a batch of 145 messages. The messages
immediately appeared in my Inbox and vfolders (in the evolution
mailer app). However, when I clicked on one to bring it up, I got
a "file not found" error. Upon inspecting the maildir, I found
that my mail was in the tmp/ directory, not in the cur/ directory.
After shutting down evolution, running oaf-slay, and restarting
evolution, the messages no longer appeared in my Inbox or vfolders,
but remain in my tmp/ directory.

A subsequent mail grab did the same thing, bringing the count of
orphaned tmp/ mail messages to 147.

A mail grab after that worked, depositing a message in my Inbox and
properly in the cur/ directory.

Is there way for me to "inject" mail messages that are stranded
in the tmp/ dir into the real maildir directory? I'm tempted to just
copy them over and hope that evolution will just automatically
re-index them.

If you run an expunge on the folder, does it update them?

Hmm, there was a small fix in CVS head that made it scan for new
messages in cur on an expunge, and maybe that will also fix this problem
somewhat.

There should be no reason for it to behave as you suggested, it is very
weird :(  (unless you were out of inodes or something weird like that).

If you shutdown evolution and any program that might write to the
maildir directory, you can just use 'mv' to move them from tmp to cur,
evolution should pick them up next time its run and re-summarise/index
them.

 !Z