Re: [Evolution] Mandrake 7.2-gnome-redcarpet-evolution

On 19 Mar 2001 15:35:53 -0500, Joseph B. Welsh wrote:

When I try to use Red Carpet to get Evolution Snapshots I get stopped.

Here's what I get
run Red-carpet and get 'Error occurred trying to download channel data'
                                  'Unable to fetch Linux-Mandrake
channel'

Hit Ok to retry or Cancel to Continue..

hitting Ok results in the same message over again, so I hit cancel
Then I try to subscribe to the two channels available to me whuch are
Ximian Gnome Desktop and Red Carpet Installer
I have subscribed to both of the but still can't find Evolution.

Am I Missing something that I should have set up?

Yes; Evo snapshots are only available to Red Hat systems. So, you need
to lie to Red Carpet, and tell it you're running RedHat. :-)

Look for a file in /etc, called mandrake-release. Original content:

-----------------------  Cut Here -----------------------
Linux Mandrake release 7.2 (Odyssey) for i586
-----------------------  Cut Here -----------------------

Replace contents with this:

-----------------------  Cut Here -----------------------
RedHat Linux release 6.2 (Zoot) for i686

Red Carpet will now think you're running RH 6.2, and you can get
snapshots that way. I do. :-)

Not that this breaks Ximian Update, for some reason.

Michael J. Leone                  Registered Linux user #201348
<mailto:turgon mike-leone com>    ICQ: 50453890

And if it's too much fun, that oughta clue you, son
You're probably doing something that's wrong ...
                                  "Don't Do It"
                                  Little Charlie and the Nightcats