Re: [Evolution] Installation Problem

Your gettext package is broken. No, really, it is. Reinstall it from a
clean rpm/deb.

I downloaded a clean rpm from SuSE but still get the same "sed: can't read ./intl/po2tbl.sed.in: No such file or directory" and "sed: can't read ./intl/Makefile.in: No such file or directory" messages with the configure script for gnome-vfs.

This means your configure script and your source tree don't match. If
you're building from CVS, you need to run "autogen.sh", not "configure",
so it will re-run autoconf, etc. You're trying to configure with an
out-of-date configure script.

Actually, I've been using tarballs from a mirror of ftp.gnome.org. So is it still possible the configure script and the source tree don't match? I pulled all the CVS packages last night (including all the dependencies) and tried installing those, but I don't really understand the "autogen.sh". For example, when I tried doing "autogen.sh --prefix=/opt/gnome --sysconfdir=/etc/opt/gnome" I get the following msg:

processing .
deletefiles is  macros/gnome-gettext.m4
Creating ./aclocal.m4 ...
Running gettextize...  Ignore non-fatal messages.
You should update your own `aclocal.m4' by adding the necessary
macro packages gettext.m4, lcmessage.m4 and progtest.m4 from
the directory `/aclocal'
Making ./aclocal.m4 writable ...
Running xml-i18n-toolize... Ignore non-fatal messages.
patching file po/Makefile.in.in
Hunk #2 succeeded at 34 (offset -2 lines).
Hunk #3 succeeded at 91 with fuzz 2.
Hunk #4 succeeded at 216 (offset -1 lines).
Running libtoolize...
You should add the contents of `/usr/share/aclocal/libtool.m4' to `aclocal.m4'.
Running aclocal  -I macros ...

**Error**: aclocal failed. This may mean that you have not
installed all of the packages you need, or you may need to
set ACLOCAL_FLAGS to include "-I $prefix/share/aclocal"
for the prefix where you installed the packages whose
macros were not found

I get this msg. even after moving the contents of aclocal to /opt/gnome/share/aclocal and including this in my path. At this point I'm at a loss. It doesn't seem to make much difference what I do, this damn thing just doesn't want to install. And if it wasn't for the fact that I like the screenshots I've seen and want to see what it's like, I'd just give up.

Tim