Re: [Evolution] Advice

2. Outlook Bar is good for novice users, Folder List is good for power
users. But neither is good for most users. Do something good there.

Oh? What's not good about the folder tree?
the folder tree is VERY confusing to most users -- they see WAY too many folders and get confused and can't find the folder they want quickly. and the hierarchy thing does not make sense to people, believe it or not. i know it is hard to understand, but you'd be surprised the things you see people trying to do when you watch them actually use the product. basically, people think of email as ONE place: their inbox. they certainly don't think of their calendar or their contact list as a folder (when's the last time you put a real-life calendar in a folder?). and NO ONE manages their folders in a proper hierarchy -- most users make one flat list of folders. at most, people go 2 levels deep ("here's my personal stuff and here's my work stuff"). after all, when have you ever put a real-life folder inside another folder?  the worst thing about the folder tree visually, in my opinion, is that a nested folder doesn't look like it's *inside* the folder, it looks like it's below and to the right of the parent folder. :)

99.9999% of Outlook novice users don't even know the folder list exists. and even 80% of Outlook power users use *both* the Outlook Bar and the Folder Tree because each is good for some things. there was work to merge the outlook bar & the folder list into a single navigation model, so you'd have big icons for your inbox, calendar, etc and smaller and possibly tree-like navigation for your mail archive folders. and it'd hide Sent Items, Outbox, etc since they're used less often. but it never made it into a released version.

6. Solve Outlook's brain-dead virus attachment "feature". :)

Not ever running scripts that are attached to mail is easy. The real
problem for Outlook these days seems to be that VBA scripts could be
lurking anywhere. We don't have that problem because no GNOME apps
have documents with macro/scripting languages that can affect things
outside of the document itself. But there's still the possibility of
buffer overruns, etc...
It's not limited to scripts, you can receive binaries as attachments. Outlook refuses to believe this is a problem -- they still tell me today that it's a user problem when they open an attachment a friend sent them that turns out to be a virus. The solution is to run any scripts or binaries as a user with no permissions to do anything terribly destructive. Outlook says this can't be done because Win9x doesn't have the security that NT has (and most of MS product groups refuse to believe NT is worthwhile, if you can believe that, so no products take advantage of NT's strengths). But of course, unix can do this.

And script in email messages is important to corporations who want groupware. They like to send out mail that configures this or that or whatever rather than write a instructions to tell each user to do something. So it really is a strength of Outlook, they just feign irresponsibility when bad things happen. (I just loved how the recent break-in at MS was caused by this problem in Outlook!;)

People inside MS hate to use it too.

Ha ha. See, Miguel! It sucks! :-)

I don't use it either. :)   Anyone who uses Outlook without an Exchange Server is nuts. it's a bad POP client and a miserable IMAP client.