From: "Jeffrey Stedfast" <fejj ximian com>
To: "Terry Ewing" <evo-users deadtrout com>
Cc: <evolution ximian com>
Sent: Thursday, February 22, 2001 1:37 PM
Subject: [evo-users deadtrout com] Re: [evo-users deadtrout com] Re:
[Evolution] outgoing smtp servers

On 22 Feb 2001 13:05:50 -0500, Terry Ewing wrote:
I think there may be an easier way.  You could just remove the SMTP
server
from the account setup altogether.  You could then place the SMTP server
setting in the general setup menu and use it for all accounts.  There is
really no reason to use seperate SMTP servers for different accounts.

In most cases, you need to have an SMTP server for each identity (or for
most identities at least) because a lot of servers don't allow relaying
which basically means unless your identity's email address matches the
SMTP domain, then you won't be able to send mail. This is why I set it
up this way.

Jeff

I don't think there needs to be a drop down menu in the message
composer.
Once the user opens the composer the smtp server is already known and
does
not need to be asked.  I do agree though that currently using local
sendmail
is the most "laptop friendly" way to deliver mail but if the mail
doesn't
deliver on the first try and I shut down my laptop the mail may never
reach
the recipient.

Well, the reason we have an SMTP server per account is because that's
usually how things are setup. I've mad the config druid default the
SMTP
server to the default settings for each account you create after the
first which should ease creating new accounts. I think that having
another drop-down menu in the composer would be too much and probably
confusing for users and for those users who have their identities
linked
with SMTP servers for a reason might find it a bit of a pain to have
select 2 option-menus and make sure they correspond to each other.

Probably the best way for you to setup your system would be to set
your
SMTP servers to use "sendmail" rather than a remote server. This is
probably the best way to make it "laptop friendly".

It's really a hard problem to solve and the current way is the
simplest
solution that answers all of the needs (even if it is a bit of a pain
in
a few situations like yours).

Jeff