Re: [Evolution] Re: [discuss] GROUPWARE - what is it, anyways?

All of the above qualify.  Some other thoughts:

    - Links between items

Yes, we have some of this in phpGW's API.

    - Item views (hierarchical folders, etc)

I think this goes to client side code and doesnt really involve the
backend design.

    - User-administrable permissions system

Out current ACL design should be perfect for this.

    - Replication
    - Concurrency control

Very important

    - Distributable (off-line + syncing, PDA's etc)

Again, nessesary for offline use.

Where do Evo and OO fit in?  Interest and assistance from existing
projects that might use these services would be a big help.

Evo and OO are client apps. They will be critical for designing a solid
OGS backend interface.

What can we learn from Gnu Glue?  The concept is closest to what I had
in mind.  Markus seemed to be opposed to a server-based model though,
and I can't see an *entirely* distributed model working in practice.

We can learn from the GLUE project very much. First and foremost is to
START hacking. The GLUE project has gone nowhere for a LONG time. From
what I have seen, its been lost in committee since it was started. I
simply would rather push forward on my one, develop the interface and
the first implmentation using phpGW as my base and deliver the thing to
the world. If Evo and OO want to make use of it at that point, all the
better. If not, I will know I did my best.

As far as not using a server-based solution, I think thats not going to
provide the flexibility and power that would be require to compete with
solutions like Notes and Exchange. It would cripple the entire project.
Evo seems to have designed their code to be able to connect to a server
when it one day appears. This was a very smart move.

Seek3r