Re: [Evolution] Summary and folder mismatch, even after a sync

1. Use imap.
2. Use maildir.
3. You can use an mbox tree, but you just may occasionally encounter
some weird problems.  Evolution does about as much as it can to ensure
those problems are not fatal though (or it is intended that it does).

The only reason i say its not supported, is that I dont want to have to
ensure it works.  If things fail (but they shouldn't), and you lose
mail, its 'well i told you it was a risk', but if its a risk you're
prepared to take ...

For example I know if you use 'elm -f folder' it does NO locking on the
folder.  So it is possible to lose mail if both evolution or procmail
and elm are accessing the same folder at the same time.  I dont know if
pine locks its local folders, or only locks teh spool folder.  If it
doesn't it too could lose mail.  etc.  In cases where the other
application uses no locking, or a different locking mechanism, then
there is always the potential for serious mailbox corruption, even if it
isn't great.

I remember having many corrupted mailbox spools on a system where the
pop server used a differnet locking mechanism to sendmail.  So the
problem isn't only limited to evolution.

maildir gets around this as it uses and requires no locking.
imap gets around this problem by having multiple access arbitrated
through a single server.

So.  Using mbox files is 'probably safe', but it might not be, depending
on the system setup and software you're using!