[Evolution] LDAP question

How exactly is the LDAP functionality supposed to work?

I cannot see the bigfoot or Yahoo! directories, due to our firewall.

When I create a new directory pointing to our internal LDAP directory,
Evo becomes slow.

When I go to the contacts, it acts like it wants to download all of the
LDAP entries(which is >40,000!)

Like I said, Evo becomes really slow, and unresponsive.  I ended up
killing it.

Regards,
--
Mike Leckey, Jr.        rml phxlab honeywell com        602.231.1685
Honeywell Engines & Systems                             Phoenix, AZ