Re: [Evolution] import of Netscape mail folders? ev0 0.11.99

Eric Lambart wrote:

The way I did it (I'll admit that unless there's another way I don't
know about, this is rather cumbersome) is to re-create empty folders in
Evo for every one of your wife's old Netscape folders.  Then do a
separate File->Import for the mailbox file (do you know which ones those
are?) for each of her old folders, setting the target to be the new
folder you've created.

Beware when creating folders in Evo; due to a bug, in the folder-create
window you have to make sure to select "Local Folders" to be the parent
folder unless you really want to create the new folder beneath whichever
folder you currently are viewing.  You have to do this EVERY TIME.  I
still mess up and have to delete new folders that ended up in the wrong
place.

I would not consider this a BUG. The fact that netscape
Always tried to create new folders one level higher
than the current level is a BUG to me.

Better to select the desired parent, then crate new
folder. If that doesn't work I'd call it a bug.

As to the folder hierarchy from netscape,
you can also move the files manually:

mkdirhier evolution/local/folder1/subfolders/folder2
mkdirhier evolution/local/folder1/subfolders/folder3
mkdirhier evolution/local/folder4/subfolders/folder5
mkdirhier evolution/local/folder4/subfolders/folder6
cp evolution/local/Inbox/folder-metadata.xml evolution/local/folder1
cp evolution/local/Inbox/folder-metadata.xml evolution/local/folder4
cp evolution/local/Inbox/folder-metadata.xml
evolution/local/folder1/subfolders/folder2
cp evolution/local/Inbox/folder-metadata.xml
evolution/local/folder1/subfolders/folder3
cp evolution/local/Inbox/folder-metadata.xml
evolution/local/folder4/subfolders/folder5
cp evolution/local/Inbox/folder-metadata.xml
evolution/local/folder4/subfolders/folder6

cp nsmail/folder1 evolution/local/folder1/mbox
cp nsmail/folder4 evolution/local/folder4/mbox
cp nsmail/folder1.sbd/folder2
evolution/local/folder1/subfolders/folder2/mbox
cp nsmail/folder1.sbd/folder3
evolution/local/folder1/subfolders/folder3/mbox
cp nsmail/folder4.sbd/folder5
evolution/local/folder4/subfolders/folder5/mbox
cp nsmail/folder4.sbd/folder6
evolution/local/folder4/subfolders/folder6/mbox

This could probably be scripted with bash or perl to make it faster.
The otherfile in evo will be created when evo starts.

Deveoplers,

Why does Evo need the "subfolders" directory?
evolution/local/folder1/folder2/mbox should be enough.

        -Thomas