Re: [Evolution] Ximian vs. GNOME icons

On 03 Aug 2001 12:32:18 -0700, Eric Lambart wrote:
This is only my personal opinion (I really don't want to start a
flamewar!), but I think that's a good thing.  Gnome toolbar icons are
big and chunky.  Throughout ximian's efforts I have noticed much more
professional graphical design skills.  I really like it.

Heh, thanks :o)

When years go, everything changes, even my icon style. I have been doing
a lot of graphics work after I did those first gnome-stock icons. It was
more than 2 years ago if I remember correctly! So it is no wonder my
style and ideas have changed during that time. Before this gets out of
hand and the black helicopters of conspiracy theories start hovering
over our heads let me point out a few things:

    * It's the same tigert who did the original icons who is doing these
      new, non-consistent, evil-Ximian-corporate-looking non-gnome'ish
      "non-tigert-style" ones. Stop freaking out folks :o)
    * The current gnome-stock needs a facelift. You can see it on this
      thread -- a lot of people prefer the new icons. It is time for a
      change.
    * I wont produce crap. Dont worry. I personally think the new ones
      are much better than the old ones.
    * The top priority for me (and I believe also for Ximian) is to make
      Gnome beautiful and consistent graphically. We also try to make
      the icons easy to understand, and for that reason the icons I do
      these days are slightly larger - gives a lot more pixels for the
      icon itself, hopefully making it more clear. The old icons had a
      lot of empty space around the icon in the 24x24 pixel grid.

Anyway, I hope this cleared the things up a bit? :)

Tuomas

--
:: :: Tuomas Kuosmanen  :: Art Director, Ximian :: ::
:: :: tigert ximian com :: www.ximian.com       :: ::