Re: [Evolution] Ximian vs. GNOME icons

On 03 Aug 2001 11:18:12 -0700, Ben FrantzDale wrote:
As Evolution progresses I'm finding that the icons are drifting away
from the stock GNOME icons. Furthermore the new icons seem to be
adopting a different style.

I recall that there may be plans to let themes define buttonbar icons.
(Does anyone know the status of that idea?) Untill that happens, though,
It seems that the Ximian icons, and thus Evolution is inconsistant with
the rest of the GNOME desktop.

Can anyone comment on this?

I'm no one official for this... but I know they're working really hard
on the icons to make them clear and user friendly.  Sun did a usability
report on GNOME that found out, among other things, that the icons don't
work.  So icons for GNOME are being changed.  I would guess that when
Tigert and Jimmac work on the icons for Evo and Ximian they are keeping
the findings of the usability report in mind.

Also GNOME lacks in some ways standards for making icons... People draw
them the way they want for each program.  I think that is being worked
on too.  If I remember correctly, tigert drew a lot of the original
GNOME icons too.  So I am sure the style of those will be changing to be
like the new evo style (clear and intuitive)

I forget the link to the usability findings, but I think GNotices has
it.
bex