Re: [Evolution] Getting Evolution via RedCarpet - Mandrake 7.2?

On 27 Apr 2001 05:09:42 -0500, Aaron Zuercher wrote:
> Hi Michael,
> I just joined the Evo list, and caught the tail of this thread about
> tricking Red-carpet to allow Mandrake to download Evo.   I am running
> Mandrake and would like more information on how to do this.  Could you
> please send me the release file also?  Thanks!

Make a backup copy your original /etc/mandrake-release file.
Then replace the contents of /etc/mandrake-release with

RedHat Linux release 6.2 (Zoot) for i686

Reboot.

Your RC now thinks it's running RH 6.2, so you get an Evolution Snapshot channel.

(The snapshots are only made for RH 6.2, RH 7.0, and Debian, so you have to fool RC into thinking you're running one of these distributions. Of course, you also don't get to see the Mandrake-specific update/fix files this way - for those, you'll still need to use Mandrake-update.)

If you don't want to change this file, you could also download the snapshots by hand, and install that way. Just be sure to get the RH 6.2 snaps.

Michael J. Leone                  Registered Linux user #201348
<mailto:turgon mike-leone com>    ICQ: 50453890

This space for rant