[Evolution] Evo suddenly VERY slow

My copy of Evo has recently become VERY slow.....everything from loading
it to opening up a new composition window; everything is slower.

I seem to remember some others with this problem on this list a while
ago.  If I remember correctly, the solution was to convert each folder
to type MAILDIR rather than type MBOX.   Is this correct?

While I am willing convert mail formats if necessary, this doesn't make
sense to me......  surely if that were the problem, then clearing out a
lot of the mail in the folders should improve the speed?  I've cleared
out a lot of mail myself, but this hasn't helped at all.

--

regs
rupert