Re: [Evolution] Evolution 0.5.1 is still profoundly unstable on my system

Alfons Hoogervorst wrote:

Lo Ettore,

On 23 Sep 2000 07:55:56 -0400 you wrote about "Re: [Evolution] Evolution 0.5.1 is still profoundly unstable
on my  system",

    Dan> But  enough about  that.   I  doubt that  this  could be  the
    Dan> problem with evolution.  I had no trouble at all with this in
    Dan> 0.4.1.   If I launch  evolution now,  I can  kill it  just by
    Dan> going  into  Control Panel,  Theme  Selector,  clicking on  a
    Dan> custom  font, and  hitting  Ok.   So I'm  sure  that all  the
    Dan> instability I'm seeing is due to something along the lines of
    Dan> the theme problem in 0.5.0 that just hasn't been fixed yet.

  BTW, what custom font are you using?

I'm using the Default theme with the Clean font (Mandrake 7.0).  I'm not exactly sure how to tell, but I'm
pretty sure this is
a True Type font, so this is probably what's happening on my system.

I think I had the same problem... I submitted a bug report for this.

If I select a font served by the true type font server (xfstt), Evolution
refuses to start.

I looked into the source code. At a certain time a GDK font is requested
(for conversion to an EFont* structure). If the font is a true type one,
the GDK request fails with -1. However, the evolution code does not check
the return value (perhaps it should fall back to a default GDK font?)

It should probably be fixed to so that it works with the TT font.  ;-)  But falling back to another font,
possibly with a
warning message, would be much better than crashing...

Dan