Re: [Evolution] Evolution 0.5.1 is still profoundly unstable on my system

Ettore Perazzoli wrote:

    Dan> I assume  that all of this  is probably due to  the fact that
    Dan> there are evolution processes still running in the background
    Dan> and that they are  not communicating very well when evolution
    Dan> gets  launched again

  Yeah, as  a general  rule, you should  do a `killev'  before running
Evolution  again after  a  crash.  (Beware  that  `killev' requires  a
Linux-like version of  `killall' -- it won't quite  work right e.g. on
Solaris, and in that case you have to kill the processes by hand.)

  So, after  selecting the custom font, `killev'ing,  and then running
`evolution' again, do you still see the start-up crash?

Originally I didn't know about killev, so I had been killing processes by
hand.  At any rate, when I select the custom font to kill evolution, then
killev, reset the font to default, and then start evolution up again, it
comes up fine.  So apparently the processes still running still think
that I'm using the "bad" font.  I'm not sure how it all works, but why
don't the evolution processes get told that the font changed?

  There is only one evolution-mail  process, but it has three threads.
The threads get  separate PIDs, so that's why you see  them as if they
were three "processes".

Ok, that explains it.  I actually took a look while evolution was running
after I sent my original message and noticed 3 "processes", so I assumed
that it was Working As Designed...

Dan

--
Ettore