Re: [Evolution] Is it just me?

Personally, I have to agree with Aaron and Bruce.  Each release of
Evolution has gotten ALOT more stable.  I too use custom fonts, and I
have had no problems with Evolution crashing due to fonts or themes.  I
have had a few problems with the news server side, but the rest seems to
be working better with each release.  Like the other guys, I can
remember the first 0.0 releases that crashed on the compile (if you
could even get it to compile) or would core dump everytime you launched
it.  Maybe the problem is not with Evolution, but rather with system
configurations.  By the way, just remember you could still be stuck
using Microcrap software.
Kudos to the Evolution team!

Aha! Someone who agrees with me at last!

Actually, I am using a custom font (helvetica), but with the default
gnome theme. Would this cause a problem? Maybe helvetica is the default
font anyway, but I certainly have the 'use custom font' button selected.

I can't really say that any version has been much better than any other
version in terms of stability. It always starts up (maybe after deleting
~/evolution), but can always be made to crash just by selecting folders
to view, or doing very simple things with the GUI.

I still maintain that the simple stuff should be made rock-solid before
adding new stuff.

Jeff

Dan Hensley wrote:

Aaron Weber wrote:

Mr. Bond:
  IMHO, it's just you.  It's easy to ignore improvements, especially
when there's still a ways to go.  But Evolution has become increasingly
more stable with each iteration.  Sure, it still crashes sometimes.  It
crashes more often than it should, perhaps.  But it's getting a lot
better, and it's getting better really fast.

I wouldn't say it's just him.  For me, 0.4.1 compiled and started up fine.
But 0.5.0 and 0.5.1 would crash every time.  It turns out that I believe both
are related to problems with fonts and Gnome themes (and no one has responded
yet to my Saturday e-mail about the problem still persisting in 0.5.1 when
you use a custom font in a theme).  So while other features may be more
stable and complete, I can't even tell because I can barely get evolution to
start (well, I can if I reset my theme font to the original).  So while
evolution may be getting more stable, that certainly wasn't my first
impression either.

Dan