Re: [Evolution] IMAP/SSL, IMAP folders, and a couple other things

: Yes, it still violates the GPL - the non-GPL lib being on the system
: doesn't automatically make it "A-OK" for a GPL program to link to it.

Okay.  I don't agree with that since I read the following sections

  These requirements apply to the modified work as a whole.  If
  identifiable sections of that work are not derived from the Program,
  and can be reasonably considered independent and separate works in
  themselves, then this License, and its terms, do not apply to those
  sections when you distribute them as separate works.  But when you
  distribute the same sections as part of a whole which is a work based
  on the Program, the distribution of the whole must be on the terms of
  this License, whose permissions for other licensees extend to the
  entire whole, and thus to each and every part regardless of who wrote it.

  In addition, mere aggregation of another work not based on the Program
  with the Program (or with a work based on the Program) on a volume of
  a storage or distribution medium does not bring the other work under
  the scope of this License.

as saying that you cannot include OpenSSL (or other SSL variants) with it but
not saying that you cannot include the hooks for linking to said libraries.

As it stands right now evolution isn't really usable since I can't get through
to my email without SSL so this is all just moot discussion for me.  If you
change your mind and need any help with it in the future let me know.

--
  Matthew Harrell                          The perversity of the universe
  Bit Twiddlers, Inc.                       tends to a maximum.