Re: [Evolution] locale not supporting by C library

It is definitely a problem with the libc locale settings (and not the X
locale settings since that outputs a different warning).

This is the code in GDK that outputs the warning:

  if (!setlocale (LC_ALL,""))
    g_warning ("locale not supported by C library");

Have you set any of the other locale environment variables?
(do 'man setlocale' to see them). If you are using glibc have you set
LANGUAGE?

Are the files in /usr/share/locale/fr_FR readable?

What OS/distribution are you using?

Damon

 I'm using Caldera Open Linux 2.4. I got the Gnome cdrom from Helixcode,
installed it, solved some problems: use of keypad, accented letters.
Thanks to Damon I read some man, then i runned the command:
  " localedef -i fr_FR -f ISO-8859-1 fr_FR "
and surprise ! this message:

computing table size for collation information might take a while... done
cannot open output file `/usr/share/locale/fr_FR/LC_COLLATE' for category `LC_CO
LLATE': Not a directory
cannot open output file `/usr/share/locale/fr_FR/LC_MONETARY' for category `LC_M
ONETARY': Not a directory
cannot open output file `/usr/share/locale/fr_FR/LC_NUMERIC' for category `LC_NU
MERIC': Not a directory
cannot open output file `/usr/share/locale/fr_FR/LC_TIME' for category `LC_TIME'
: Not a directory
cannot open output file `/usr/share/locale/fr_FR/LC_MESSAGES' for category `LC_M
ESSAGES': Not a directory.
 I checked and found :/usr/share/locale/fr/LC_MESSAGES/fr_FR The file
fr_FR contains paragraphs: LC_COLLATE, LC_MONETARY, ...
I create the directory /usr/share/locale/fr_FR and  all the files
missing. For instance in the above file ~/LC_MESSAGES/fr_FR
I copied under the title LC_COLLATE the line < copy "en_DK" >
And again "localedef ... "  I can't assure it was correct but it works.
And no more the Gtk warning.
Nevertheless, still the main problem (only with Evolution) : Evolution
can't read accented letters. I can type and see these letters on the
screen, but when i received the message I got something like "Président"
(President with e acute = e with 'accent).