Re: [HC Evolution] Re: libole2 -> gnomevfs backend?

Matt Loper wrote:

John wrote:
I will be an Evolution user, and this will make my life harder. :)

Could you elaborate on why?

Sure.  (I knew I was leaving something out! :)

First, I'm not clear what a .pst file is.  It sounds like Outlookspeak
to me... does it just have configuration information in it, or
configuration
info and mail?

My guess is that it contains mail, calander info, and the like...
since otherwise I doubt there would be a point to backing it up!

Anyway, there is one main reason a file like this will make my life
harder.
If it contains mail, I won't have direct access to that mail.

While there are a few reasons why I like direct access, two are the most
important for me.  First, I will not always be using Evolution.  I use
pine or mutt on the road, and will until a telnet-capable Evolution
frontend is written, which is as easy to use and as reliable as pine and
mutt.  I expect to use the same sets of mail folders both on the road
and at my desk.  I also expect Evolution to realize that its indices of
my mboxes are corrupted by my behavior when I fire it up the next time.
:)

I figure that Evolution will eventually have a text frontend, but that
won't help with the second reason I like direct access.  Ocassionally, I
like to grep my mail.  As an example of why that's useful to me, if I
can't remember my password to the NY Times site, I grep for it in my
mboxes.  Often I want to find something small, and won't need
Evolution's ubersearch capabilities, :)  or want to wait for it to fire
up.

Those are the sorts of things I feel like I'll be prevented from doing
if
the data are all packed into one file.  If mail isn't included in there,
then I don't feel any opposition to packing it all into an unreadable
file.

Thanks for listening to my concerns!

John