Re: [Evolution] options on download

Jeffrey Stedfast wrote:

you'd have to download the entire message again (because you can't start
where you left off),

Yes.  That's ok, because you only downloaded the first ten lines,
even if the "message is too big" test is set to be 50k.  (There's
no way to ask POP3 for the first 50k of a message, you can only
do it by lines.)

this begins to get overly complicated because what if
the user has it set to delete messages off the pop server after they
download? then what?
you can't just go get the rest of the message...because it isn't there

Well duh, partial messages are a special case -- you don't delete
the message if you're only downloading part of it.

It's really not that complicated.  Like I said, I already did it once.

And I'm sorry to say that, because I did it (and because Eudora does
it), your users are going to insist that you do it too.

I'm sorry.

(The irritating thing about this is making it work even if the POP3
server doesn't support the UIDL extension.  It can be done, but I didn't
do that in Netscape 2.0, and lots and lots of people whined about it
until 3.0 came out.  Yeah, all POP3 servers should support UIDL, yeah it
should be a part of the base spec -- but the POP3 protocol is
incompetently designed and even more incompetently revised, so deal.)

--
Jamie Zawinski
jwz jwz org             http://www.jwz.org/