RE: [Evolution] huge RPMs

OK, but do people who use binary rpms really need libgal.a, which
is 14 MB (from gal-devel-0.4.1-0_helix_1.i386.rpm)?

Static libraries are always included in the development packages. If
you're not planning on developing against gal, then the solution is
simple: don't install gal-devel. At this point, I'd advise against it
anyway because gal is a moving target.

So why provide libgal.a in gal devel if it is moving target?
Developers really don't use rpms, they always use source.
I want either rpms or if they are big (like in this case)
I try to make rpms from tarballs with rpm -tb xxx.tgz,
but it is not possible with all tgzs (bad spec files, especially
for ORBit - how do you make rpms btw?).
But I DO want to compile Evolution myself - that's why I
need -devel rpms.

Regards,
Nerijus