Re: [Evolution] Weekly Feature Request Summary (12/6)

Hello Evolution lovers!

A little before Thanksgiving, Miguel contacted me to help him gather a
list
of feature requests for upcoming 0.7 release. After doing some Evolution
mail searching action (vfolders are NICE), a little mail archive reading
and
a few bugzilla searches, this is what I got. I sorted the requests in a
(hopefully) useful fashion, but suggestions for how the summary should
be
formated are most welcome.

ok, I'm going to be mean and nasty while I lay into this list, so don't
take it personally.

      - How do i know which widget has focus? (ed. etable or message body)

Look for the blinking cursor?

      - Home/End should move the cursor at the beggining/end of the line ,
      *not* of the message.

As Dan said, use the GtkHTML capplet to change this.  But it just annoys
me that this even made it in as a bug.

      - I would find it useful to be able to drag messages into VFolders. I
      prefer VFolders to standard mail sorting (it allows messages that are
       me and a list to show up in my personal folder and the list folder,
for
       example.) Sometimes I get a message to a list (such as a course
mailing
 list) that I want in my personal folder so that it doesn't get lost.
One way to implement this would be for a VFolder to have a field that
allows for a specific message. Another way would be to, upon dropping
message into a VFolder, prompt the user for an addition to the VFolder
rule. (ed. this sorta breaks the vfolder concept... any ideas?)

Drag and drop doesn't work anywhere that I've tried it just yet, so I
assume that the infrastructure isn't finished.

      - Wheelmouse navigation

What?  Wheel mouse works fine for me, can you be just a wee bit more
specific?

      - More options in the context menu for folders.

Can you give some specifics of what's missing?

      - Ala Outlook, It would be very helpful to mark folders as having
unread
      contents. Outlook makes the folder bold with the number of unread
      messages in parenthesis. (ed. i think this is fixed in CVS already)

Yep, this is done is CVS.

      - Have first unread email message to be in the center of the list
(ala
      Outlook)

Outlook 2000 doesn't do this, I don't remember earlier
versions.  Outlook lists from the "top" of the folder.  Evolution
already does a better job at this than Outlook has ever done, I don't
think any changes are called for along these lines.

      - View all headers.

Done in CVS.

      - An expand/collapse all threads option, (suggestion: the right-click
      menu for clicking on the [+] or [-] sign.)

I'd like to see threading support that looks a lot like the Agent
newsreader on Win32.  I haven't figured out how/if evolution's threading
is helpful yet.

      - A `properties'' dialog on each message ala Outlook.

What's in this "properties" dialog?  BTW, Outlook doesn't have a
"properties" option on each message.

      - Re-index mail continuously as it arrives rather than just after
      everything has been downloaded. This would be especially helpful when
someone with a slow connection receives a lot of mail.

But especially problematic when somebody on a fast connection and a slow
computer gets a lot of mail.

      - I would find it useful to have a different date format. As it is
the
      date field needs to be at least 65 pixels wide in order to see the
full
      day.

Where at?  In the message list?  In the calendar?

      - Is it possible to add the sender of an e-mail to the Contacts -
more
      or less automatically?

I know this has been requested a lot, but I haven't seen it work
yet.  (I can't get to my CVS build from here)

      - Is the evolution calendar going to support calendar servers through
      CAP?

I would think so, as I don't know of another way to support shared
calendars using standards.  However, IANAH, so it's hard to say.

    Greg