Re: [Evolution-hackers] vCard test suite

On Tue, 2016-04-05 at 22:52 +0200, Milan Crha wrote:
On Tue, 2016-04-05 at 20:44 +0200, Ángel González wrote:

On 2016-04-05 at 08:52 +0100, Philip Withnall wrote:

I don’t think I explained clearly enough, sorry. All three
options
are
proposing to keep vcard-test-suite as a separate project, which
EDS
depends on in some way (either as a test-time dependency, a git
submodule, or a build-time dependency).
I don't think it should be a build-time dependency. If the
dependency
is not fulfilled, you should still be able to build and run eds
(except
for running those tests, of course).

      Hi,
I agree with Ángel, build time dependency is out of question. Also
because soft dependencies are easy to overlook, thus one might easily
not even notice the new test suit.

I'm not sure how you'd like to have done the test-time dependency. If
the files would not be available, will the whole test suit be
skipped,
or the test will fail with an error? The first option is similar to
build time dependency (being it a soft dependency). The second option
might be a bit limiting, no?

It would have to be a soft dependency; as you say, a hard dependency is
out of the question. With the installed-tests approach, the EDS vCard
test would be skipped if the vCards were not installed.

That lefts us with a git submodule. What is the difference between
the
git submodule and direct inclusion in the sources?

With a git submodule, the vCards can be re-used in other projects while
being updated from a central repository, rather than diverging between
all the projects.

If you want to cover
more than vCard tests for the evolution-data-server (like testing
also
other vCard parsers, from other libraries), then it seems to me that
the cleanest solution would be to provide installed-tests from the
git
repo as you have it, just define different "targets". I mean, I miss
gain in the inclusion of the project as a git submodule in the
evolution-data-server. It's possible I'm overlooking something
though.

I’m not sure what you mean. If the vcard-test-suite project builds and
installs installed-tests for EDS (and other projects), what’s going to
pull those installed tests into a system? Nobody is going to package
vcard-test-suite for its own sake. And I wouldn’t want it to grow
dependencies on every vCard parser library out there just so that it
can build the tests itself.

Philip