Re: [Evolution-hackers] Questions about EDS architecture in http://live.gnome.org/Evolution/EDS_Architecture

Thanks, milan, its very helpful~~

-----Original Message-----
From: evolution-hackers-bounces gnome org [mailto:evolution-hackers-bounces gnome org] On Behalf Of Milan Crha
Sent: Tuesday, January 17, 2012 3:30 PM
To: evolution-hackers gnome org
Subject: Re: [Evolution-hackers] Questions about EDS architecture in http://live.gnome.org/Evolution/EDS_Architecture

On Mon, 2012-01-16 at 15:59 +0000, Li, Cici X wrote:
> 1.      evolution-alarm-notify
>
> Is this DBus service to manage calendar(events/task) alarm management?
> Including recur, alarm time reschedule, alarm snooze following?

	Hi,
it's not a DBus service, as of today, it's just a process run on Gnome's
session start, which manages alarms (reminders) set on the calendars you
have checked for alarm notifications. It's also not part of EDS, but
evolution itself.

> Is it only relate calendar alarm? or have relation with OS’
> notification component?

Answered above, only calendar notifications, and only those which users
wants to, as set in Edit->Preferences->Calendar and Tasks->Reminders
tab.

> I want to know its detail logic…

Why?

> 2.      For below addressbook frame diagram
>
> 1)      Did this diagram have some updates?

Unfortunately not.

> The diagrams of addressbook/calendar(in below) are outdated? they
> still refer to EBook, ECal, EBookView, ECalView which are deprecated
> (EBookClient, EBookClientView, ECalCient, ECalClientView are used
> instead). Also, don't know what the listeners correspond to now.

Yes, it's outdated, but the logic is basically the same, the deprecated
objects can be replaced with that currently supported.

> 2)      For EBookBackendFile, we use it to save contacts files in
> addressbook.db, this is our common used way, and the way create
> contacts from Evolution UI, right?

Yes.

> 3)      “For EBookBackendVCF, This backend gets launched when the
> protocol prefix of the URI is vcf://. As of now there is no way to
> create an address book folder of this type in the Evolution UI.”
>
> When to used this backend? Used to load vcf files from some clients or
> import contacts from file? What is the mainly usage of this backend?

Nice, you cannot create such addressbook, the backend is inaccessible
from evolution's UI right now. I didn't notice it myself. It still can
be created from 3rd party software.

> 4)      For EBookBackendLDAP, when to use this backend? What is the
> mainly usage of this backend?
>
> 5)      For EBookBackendGroupwise, when to use this backend? What is
> the mainly usage of this backend?

OK, it seems you do not  understand the purpose of EBookBackend.
Basically, EBookBackend (or ECalBackend) descendants provide all the
conversions between structures used by evolution-data-server itself
(EVCard for books and icalcomponent/ECalComponent for calendar) and the
place they read (write) data from (for LDAP it's an LDAP server, for
file backends it's a local file and so on). It is supposed to provide
some necessary functionality to properly work as a backend for
evolution-data-server. The e-addressbook-factory/e-calendar-factory (in
3.3.4 factories prefix is replaced with evolution-..., instead of e-...)
manage these backends and open/close backends on demand. These factories
are DBus services, to which EBookClient/ECalClient-s connect. Before
DBus these two factories were only one binary, named
evolution-data-server-$version.

> 3.      For below calendar frame diagram
>
> 1)      Any updates of this diagram? Where is ical?

Similar with addressbook, it's outdated. What do you mean with ical? Do
you mean libical? It's technically not part of eds, it's a library used
to work with iCalendar objects (icalcomponent).

> 2)      “Calendar backends deal with the communication between
> evolution-data-server and specific calendar servers/types. Thus, a
> backend must be written for any different calendar source (file
> backend for local files, webcal backend for HTTP, Groupwise, Exchange,
> etc).”
>
> What is the detail difference of backends to handle source file: local
> files, webcal backend for HTTP, Groupwise?

I'm not sure what answer you expect here. If the semi-general paragraph
about backends outlined above didn't help, then probably read the code,
as that is the only detailed difference between them. :)

As I mentioned above, the wiki documentation is slightly out of date,
thus I agree it can be confusing with respect of current sources.
	Bye,
	Milan