Re: [Evolution-hackers] WebKit port progress update

On Sat, Aug 27, 2011 at 11:38 PM, Matthew Barnes <mbarnes redhat com> wrote:
> On Sat, 2011-08-27 at 09:26 +0530, Srinivasa Ragavan wrote:
>> One thing I can say is that, this will be faster than the earlier
>> method, for reason that even when we expand one attachment/mail, we
>> rerender the entire mail and remember their previous states etc which
>> is sort-a ugly. This approach only deals with the MIME part that you
>> expand/hide and very simple and fast.
>
> Well the current approach of making the attachment button and the
> attachment itself two separate embedded widgets is suboptimal.  I know
> GtkHtml doesn't handle resizing embedded widgets very well so maybe it
> was done that way as a workaround?
>
> Assuming WebKit is better at resizing embedded widgets, an easier
> approach is to pack each button/attachment pair into a vbox and bind the
> button's "expanded" state to the lower widget's "visible" state.  Then
> you just have to embed one vbox per attachment, which should hopefully
> avoid having to redraw the whole email when expanding an attachment.

Right, but I doubt it. When I did for anjal, I had to make webkit
expand every time. It otherwise draws a scrollbar around it even when
you have space to expand. Not sure if things have improved lately. You
need to write some test code to confirm before you start up the
design.

-Srini.