Re: [Evolution-hackers] WebKit port progress update

On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 10:02 PM, Matthew Barnes <mbarnes redhat com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-08-26 at 17:20 +0200, Dan Vratil wrote:
>> as I already mentioned on the IRC meeting, embedding widgets into WebKit
>> is broken and I was told that WebKit-Gtk developers intend to drop this
>> functionality sooner or later.
> Citation needed.  Xan Lopez said he wasn't aware of any problems or
> plans to drop the API when I asked him about this after the IRC meeting,
> and the bug you opened includes a comment with a possible solution:
>> So I decided to go similar way Anjal
>> does, splitting the email display into multiple webviews. To be able to
>> do so, I also decided to change the way EMFormat works as well.
> IIRC, Srini told me told me at the Boston Summit last year that this
> approach for Anjal was fine for display but derailed when it came time
> to print.
> Maybe Srini can comment further?  (CC'ing him)

It isn't simple for printing. But you can work it around by supporting
only the needed file types. In any case see if we can get a top window
cairo handle and print it to a printable surface. It should be much
easier and match what the user sees. If we can do anjal like webkit
rendering, it is very simple to get a conversation view into
evolution. I could pull pieces from anjal and build it for evolution.

> Don't get me wrong, the design you're proposing sounds sensible _if_ you
> can overcome the printing issue.  I'm just pointing out the known speed
> bumps on this road.

This is the most appropriate approach I felt for anjal, since Webkit
then didn't have embedded gtk objects. IIRC newer webkit supports it.
Worth a try to see if it is feasible to consider that. One thing I can
say is that, this will be faster than the earlier method, for reason
that even when we expand one attachment/mail, we rerender the entire
mail and remember their previous states etc which is sort-a ugly. This
approach only deals with the MIME part that you expand/hide and very
simple and fast.