Re: [Evolution-hackers] Moving from the single mbox file format for the local folders

On Wed, 2009-12-16 at 19:50 -0500, Jeffrey Stedfast wrote:
> The standard way to nest Maildir folders is such:
>
> Maildir/
>    cur/
>    new/
>    tmp/
>    .GNOME/
>       cur/
>       new/
>       tmp/
>    .GNOME.Evolution/

maybe, but Evolution doesn't use this model, it is creating subfolders
directly, like:
Maildir/
   cur
   new
   tmp
   folder1
      cur
      new
      tmp
      folder2

Which makes:
   Inbox
   folder1
      folder2

How do you create a folder on the same level as Inbox with your model?
As far as I understand it the leading dot means it's an Inbox subfolder,
not only a folder itself. We want it for Send/Draft/Outbox folders at
least. I thought to workaround it by starting maildir hierarchy for
local folder not at '.', but at './Our-Inbox'. Kinda nasty, I know.
If there will be any change in the folder layout for maildir, we should
keep some option for backward compatibility, but that's obvious.

> >  - recently also some slowness for refresh of large folders (should
> be
> >    partially fixed, but not fully, if I recall correctly)
> >

> is this related to readdir() performance?

Not sure exactly, but I think the readdir isn't the culprit. It's that
the "Checking folder consistency" can take unbelievable time for some
particular circumstances. I saw that on one of my large test folders,
but not always. It might be due to db-summary as well, when for example
aren't loaded message infos thus the checking is loading one by one,
which is awfully slow. Just a guess, question for investigation.
	Bye,
	Milan