Re: [Evolution-hackers] Moving from the single mbox file format for the local folders

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 5:03 PM, Ross Burton <ross burtonini com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-12-16 at 16:54 +0530, Srinivasa Ragavan wrote:
>> > I definitely won't switch away from maildir as my format of choice
>> > because it integrates nicely with offlineimap.
>>
>> Sure, I think users should have that freedom. Camel's local folder
>> implementation has that built in. This new approach should be the
>> default for new users, and as option for users to migrate to it for
>> existing users. If users willingly stay with maildir or
>> 1mbox-per-folder that should also be there.
>
> I don't really see the point of inventing a new file-per-message format
> when maildir already exists, is already implemented in evolution (albeit
> buggily), and is a very popular format.  NIH seems a bit pointless
> really.

Really, we aren't inventing a new format. Its mbox, but organized a
bit differently, like how some providers store, (Exchange, GW, (IMAP4
?) store.

Btw, just don't remember well, but Milan did a research of the same,
moving from mbox to maildir. Milan do you remember the points to
consider? It will be helpful

-Srini