Re: [Evolution-hackers] Moving from the single mbox file format for the local folders

On Wed, 2009-12-16 at 19:56 -0500, Jeffrey Stedfast wrote:
> Does it really crash? It used to just regenerate the summary files.

yes, on out of memory, as it tries to allocate a very large memory block
due to misreading items.

> > b) you cannot just drop it and regenerate, because it holds some
> > information for local providers, like labels, tags and such.
> >

> The point of the version info was so that you could do things like:
>
> if (summary->version < CAMEL_64BIT_SUMMARY_VERSION) {
>    off_t offset;
>    camel_file_utils_load_off_t (file, &offset);
>    info->offset = offset;
> } else {
>    camel_file_utils_load_int64 (file, &info->offset);
> }
>
> If you do this, then you don't actually lose any information.

I do not think the above will work together with defaulting to LARGEFILE
compile flag, but the other way would, like defaulting to load_int32 for
older summaries and reading off_t for new. I'm wondering whether some
distro has the largefile support enabled these days, as if so, then the
decision what to use as an off_t size isn't that easy. Maybe they have,
or it's enough to compile under 64 bit to have the size changed.
I didn't try this, I just suppose because of reported issues.
	Milan