[Evolution-hackers] A relatively simple Evolution IMAP-code task, that improves memory consumption

Hi there, hackers.

While appending a message to an IMAP folder, Evolution consumes the
entire message into memory.

At the Tinymail project (which is a lib that uses a modified Camel) we
are not planning to rewrite this right now: it's not blocking any of the
Modest bugs (Modest is an E-mail client using Tinymail). Right now a
stable release for Modest has a priority over implementing new features
that promise better memory usage.

It's however trivial to implement this one. I added comments how to do
it to Tinymail's camel-lite's camel-imap-folder.c

http://tinymail.org/trac/tinymail/changeset/3554

If somebody is interested in this, I think it's a nice contribution,
very localised in scope (it's just this function) and good way to get
your hands dirty on Evolution's IMAP code. Being code addicts, we all
love to get our hands dirty, right?

The function is unmodified in Tinymail's camel-lite (other than the
comment). Your patch would, after being tested, go downstream into
Tinymail too. Of course.

home: me at pvanhoof dot be
gnome: pvanhoof at gnome dot org
http://pvanhoof.be/blog