Re: [Evolution-hackers] cleaning up the timezone handling mess

On Thu, 2008-04-03 at 19:45 +0200, Patrick Ohly wrote:
> did the slightly inflammatory subject catch your attention? Good,
> please keep reading... ;-)

I will read your email as soon as I get a chance, but I have to add my
voice to those saying "please, please, PLEASE someone fix this complete
and utter disaster!"

I was going to post a much more inflammatory rant about this than yours
(although without any of your useful suggestions) today.

Yesterday I had the excruciatingly embarrassing experience of walking
into a conference room for an important meeting with important people at
my company... about 3 minutes before everyone packed up their stuff to
leave.  I was an hour late!!!  My Evo calendar said the meeting started
at 3pm EDT, but everyone else's calendar said it started at 2pm.

I went back and logged into Exchange OWA, and sure enough THAT calendar
said 2pm as well.  So, it's hard to understand how OWA knows the right
date/time and Evolution, which uses data retrieved from OWA, doesn't.
But, I've not really sat down to puzzle out how timezones are handled.

It's really a brown-paper-bag situation that this should still be
happening in Evolution well over a year after the timezone changes that
caused the problems (in the US anyway) were approved.  We run into this
twice a year and it's still broken.

I have many examples of Exchange meeting requests that do the wrong
thing in Evo, if anyone needs them.

 Paul D. Smith <psmith gnu org>                 http://make.mad-scientist.us
 "Please remain calm--I may be mad, but I am a professional."--Mad Scientist