Re: [Evolution-hackers] Evolution plugin with Mono

On Mon, 2007-08-20 at 12:01 +0200, Manuel de la Pena wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I can define the application as a self updating address-book, where
> the data of the contacts can be modified b y the contact themselves,
> this is aiming to solve the problem of sharing contact information
> when we have contacts that are not from a company or that do not have
> place in a LDAP, in other ways is a RDB with  strong business rules.
>
> Currently the local copy of the contacts information is stored in a
> sqlite database

I am not understanding the full picture of the problem that you are
trying to solve.

How are these contacts created ? You use a separate application to
create these contacts ? And where is this DB running ? What other
applications in addition to Evo. will make use of these contacts ?

Will it be not sufficient if you just setup a LDAP server with no
access-restrictions so that each user can create his own contacts ?

Since LDAP is a standard protocol, many clients will already implement
it. you can just start using Evo. without writing any code; if you have
such a setup.

However, ....

>  and I was planing to develop a plugin to fetch the
> contacts from there to evolution, since implementing the LDAP
> protocol on-top of the server daemon seems to be to much work, at
> least for a first version. I would relllay apreciate any ideas to
> solve the problem, although seems that using c is the strongest and
> easiest answer at the moment.

... If you have a look at evolution/plugins/bbdb you can find code to
sync Evolution's personal addressbook with gaim. You just need to copy
and fit it to your server's needs, instead of gaim/pidgin.