Re: [Evolution-hackers] Adding a new server type... How?

On Thu, 2005-08-04 at 15:08 +0200, Jules Colding wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-08-04 at 21:02 +0800, Not Zed wrote:
> >
> > Well, personally ... i think it would be better to do it as a completely
> > separate project.
> >
> > A few reasons - it is easier to distribute/manage, and it tests and
> > validates all of the extensibility mechanisms we have put in recently.
>
> Could you give me a few words about which mechanisms, please?

All the ones you'd need to use anyway ...

Camel backends are only installable as extensions, for instance.  So
there's no choice - it doesn't matter if they're installed separately or
in the main tree.

All calendar backends are abstracted from the frontend already too, so
there isn't really any choice there either, and i believe they can also
be installed separately.

And e-plugin which lets you do various ui things, there is even actually
- gasp - documentation around about it, not entirely out of date either.
e.g. search google 'evolution plugin manual'.

But, for example, not all of the required headers are installed to
implement calendar plugins as external builds without having the
evolution source available.  But this is a bug, so if things required
are missing then they should be installed.  But if nobody ever writes
the plugins we'll never know what is missing ...

(i'm re-cc'ing the list, because of info other people should be aware
of).

--
adfa(evolution-2.4:20087): gtkhtml-WARNING **: cannot find icon:
'stock_insert-url' in gnome