Re: [Evolution-hackers] usage of C in evolution

Greetings,

>    Pardon the markety intrusion... Extensibility is very much in the cards,
>    and I think importers are a good place to start, because there's always
>    another file format, etc. to import, so it makes sense to have that
>    extensible.
>
>    I'd start, however, with Evolution 1.5.x and evolution-data-server, where
>    the APIs are much more accessible and it just makes more sense to extend
>    in any given language... for reference see the panel code that integrates
>    with the Evolution calendar, and the OpenOffice.org mail-merge from
>    Evolution addressbook...

I totally agree with you here, we should be able to write stuff in any
language that works with it (if only we had C in Mono and could use
class libraries... :P)

>    Python *looks* like a toy language, definitely, but all the hackers I've
>    known who have reluctantly used it have grown to like it after a week or
>    so (cf Red Carpet).  Still, you might want to consider looking into C#,
>    since there's quite a bit of evolution-C# work going on and that's quite
>    exciting these days.

I love python, I think it's one of the best languages, It's nicely
functional while still nice to write code in,
While it's whitespace enforcement is a bit weird to someone of a C
background, it really is quite nice and in most cases you indent the
crap anyway so it really doesn't matter.

I also see C# stuff happening, given evolution/mono are both novellish
things, and if they won't use it, i don't think anyone else has much
hope :) personally I find C# a bit too verbose in areas
and tends to annoy me abit :) (variable names, etc) but for things like
simple GUI/Database/IM sortof APIs its great and you can't go past it,
I'm sure my opinion on that will change as I use it more :)

Cheers,
Trent