Re: [Evolution-hackers] branding

On Wed, 2004-03-31 at 16:44 -0500, Dan Winship wrote:

> On Wed, 2004-03-31 at 16:17, William Jon McCann wrote:
> > The bigger issue, in my opinion, is the use of Ximian, Novell, or other
> > corporate branding.  I don't think GNOME is the right place for such
> > marketing.  I don't think we want to see RedHat, Sun, IBM, Netscape,
> > etc. logos either.
>
> Well, think about the flip side. Would you want Red Hat, Sun, and IBM to
> ship the GNOME desktop with all of the GNOME branding removed?
>
> Even ignoring the issue of proper attribution of work, if you remove all
> the branding from everything, you'd end up with a really dull system. No
> one's going to get excited about running "Web Browser for Desktop" on
> "Operating System" (on their generic beige PC).

I think the only excitement that branded names provide is in the "hide
and seek" game of find the right applications.

Hmmm, lets see do I open this with Eye Of GNOME or Evolution or The GIMP
or Epiphany or perhaps GGV?  I don't remember which one I saw in the
commercial, but that's the one I need.  :-P  Nothing against the
application names, but they don't always provide the best information on
the menu item.

The Generic name is there to make everything a little easier to use.  If
companies want to roll out excitement in their distro then adding
branding and such is their right.  However on the core GNOME side we'd
rather be a little duller and more user friendly to those not familiar
to the brands.

~ Bryan