Re: [Evolution-hackers] branding

Hi Bryan,

First, thanks for the references.

Bryan Clark wrote:
On Wed, 2004-03-31 at 14:01 -0500, William Jon McCann wrote:
Changes might include:
 - "Ximian Evolution" -> "Evolution"

There has been discussion on this in particular. [1]

I would recommend something like this:

The Application Name:

	Ximian Evolution Groupware

The Generic Name:

	Groupware Suite

As "Evolution" is just branding and we are really looking for names that
describe the tasks the application handles.  Like Epiphany getting the
name "Web Browser".

For menus I prefer using separate items, as Seth suggests:
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2002-September/msg00524.html.

However, that was written before Evolution was to become *the* mail, calendar, task, contact application for GNOME. So in this case the Evolution branding could be dropped.

The bigger issue, in my opinion, is the use of Ximian, Novell, or other corporate branding. I don't think GNOME is the right place for such marketing. I don't think we want to see RedHat, Sun, IBM, Netscape, etc. logos either.

I'm not even sure it is legal to distribute and use Ximian / Novell logos and trademarks.

Cheers,
Jon