Re: [Evolution-hackers] Header selection option

On Tue, Nov 25, 2003 at 10:30:50AM -0500, Jeffrey Stedfast wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-11-25 at 06:18, Grahame Bowland wrote:
> > Hey guys
> >
> > I'm taking a look at the header selection bounty
> > entry.. not really fussed about the money aspect,
> > but it'd be a cool feature.
> >
> your idea sounds reasonable. looking forward to reviewing a patch :-)

Ok, I've got much further and now have questions.

I have a GtkTreeView, and two buttons - "Add" and "Remove".
These act as you'd expect. The user can edit the header name
by double clicking on it - the editing occurs inside the
GtkTreeView.

If the user enters a value that is inappropriate for a header
name (eg. it contains a " ", or a trailing ":"), should I
reject the change - revert the field to its previous contents?
I can't think of another way, but this doesn't provide useful
feedback to the user - they'll be left wondering why their
change isn't working.

Also, should I have some sort of explanatory text field - none
of the other tabs seem to have them, but this tab doesn't make
much sense without some explanation. I tried to do it with
a tooltip, however that just worked out silly.

(I have it storing into / retrieving from GConf - yay)

When they click the "Add" button, should it jump them into
editing the text field in the list? Can anyone hint how to
achieve that, if it's desirable?

Cheers for any help / suggestions
Grahame