Re: [Evolution-hackers] Proposed Keyboard Navigation for Evolution Mail Reader and Calendar

On Fri, 2003-05-30 at 09:58, Yuedong Du wrote:

> Attached is our proposal, comments are welcome.  The proposal try to
> attack two parts that keyboard navigation
> are weak or vacant, gtkhtml mail reader can calendar. While in other
> parts keyboard navigation mostly work, and
> we think it can be resolved by bugfix.

These look really good... just a couple of comments inline.

> Function			Mozilla	Outlook		Proposed
> Turn on/off caret mode	F7	always on	F7

Is there a good reason why Evolution shouldn't do the same as Outlook
here, and just have this feature turned on all the time?  F7 is kind of
an obscure shortcut, and you'd probably want to add a menu item and/or a
preference for this setting as well if it was optional.  So it would be
nice if it just always worked, if that didn't cause any other problems.
(Perhaps you should also ask about this particular feature on
gnome-accessibility-list, there may be other issues with it I'm not
aware of).

> Go to the same day in the previous/next week in day/week/month view.
> Alt + Left Arrow / Right Arrow

> Go to the first/last day of the current week in day/week/month view.
> Alt + Home / End

> Go to the first/last day of the current month in day/week/month view.
> Alt + PageUp / PageDown

> Go to the same day in the previous/next week in day/week/month view.
> Alt + Left Arrow / Right Arrow

> Go to the first/last day of the current week in day/week/month view.
> Alt + Home / End

I realise you're trying to follow the Outlook shortcuts here.  But just
as a side-note, using Ctrl instead of Alt would probably be a more
HIG-compliant solution for these shortcuts, if they're not already used
for something else.  I guess that's a decision for whoever decides how
much you need to copy the Outlook shortcuts though :)

> Switch to month view
> Alt + Equal Sign (=) / m

> Switch to week view
> Alt + Hypen Sign (-) / k

> Switch to working week view
> Alt + r

> Switch to day view
> Alt + y

Again, I know you're copying Outlook here, but just be aware that the
GNOME HIG suggests that Alt+<symbol> shouldn't generally be used for
shortcuts, only for label mnemonics.  Ctrl and Ctrl+Shift are the
preferred modifiers for shortcuts.

Cheeri,
Calum.