Re: [Evolution-hackers] Status bar

On Tue, 2003-12-02 at 14:16, Michael Meeks wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-12-02 at 05:48, Ettore Perazzoli wrote:
> > I have hooked up the status bar back as discussed before (each component
> > exports it as a control and handles it by itself, using the
> > ETaskBar/EActivityHandler stuff from libeshell).
>
> 	Sounds interesting; so you're not sending the text to the <status>
> node, but a control instead ? - fair enough; I had some problem (AFAIR)
> with setting extremely long status messages causing the bar to re-size
> the toplevel in some nastily painful way - I don't know if that'll be
> fixable from inside the control though; is that possibly an issue ?

Hmm I didn't actually know about the <status> node.  :-)

The way I am doing it is that I have two widgets packed in a box in the
status bar: the component's control and a label.  When bonobo-ui sends
me the "add_hint" signal, I hide the control, display the label, and set
the text in the label to be the one in the menu.  When I get
"remove_hint", I hide the label and display the control.

So the shell handles the status bar when a menu item is moused over, but
the components manage it for their own progress notification purposes.

-- Ettore