Re: [Evolution-hackers] Newsgroup lists

On Tue, 2003-12-02 at 09:48, Meilof wrote:
Not Zed wrote:

> Would NEWGROUPS be enough for this?  it would be hidden inside
> get_folder_info.
>
> A force reload could be a possibility if its absolutely required.
>
> Its absolutely necessary to save the list anyway, for the folder list
> startup, and for offline mode.

I think NEWGROUPS should be enough, provided the news server supports
it. Problem is, not all news servers have NEWGROUPS, so I cannot assume
all news server support it (for example, the test news server I set up
on my local box, a standard InterNetNews setup, doesn't, but my ISP's

ugh, are you sure?  was the server put into client mode, or was it just running server mode, or has it dropped client mode?

("mode reader").

i.e.

[notzed lostzed notzed]$ telnet localhost nntp
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.localdomain (127.0.0.1).
Escape character is '^]'.
200 lostzed.mmc.com.au InterNetNews server INN 2.3.4 ready
newgroups
500 "newgroups" not implemented; try "help".
mode reader
200 lostzed.mmc.com.au InterNetNews NNRP server INN 2.3.4 ready (posting ok).
newgroups
501 [YY]yymmdd hhmmss ["GMT"|"UTC"] [<distributions>]
date
111 20031202004513

I think you can assume its there, at the very worst, fallback if the command fails (it could probe for the command at startup).

You are using the existing nntp code right?  it already does "mode reader".

server does). And for NEWGROUPS, one would probably also need support
for the DATE command (to know the date of the server so you know what
date argument to give to NEWGROUPS), which is an extension to NNTP. I
have no idea how common support for NEWGROUPS/DATE is though, perhaps
this is not a problem.

A patch to the subscription editor would I think be fairly easy, it
would just need to pass a flag along if it gets the list due to a
"Refresh" operation. I guess this would be the nicest way, from a NNTP
point of view, to do it.
ok