Re: [Evolution-hackers] Newsgroup lists

On Mon, 2003-12-01 at 12:10, Meilof wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm working on NNTP support in Evolution, particularly the subscription
> interface currently, but I've encountered some problems.
>
> First, I've written the code that contact the news server for a list of
> newsgroups by implementing nntp_store_get_folder_info using the code
> from camel-nntp-grouplist.c. For my test news server, which has
> something like 5 newsgroups, this works pretty well, and the groups show
> up nicely in the subscription dialog, but for the news server of my ISP,
> which has _much_ more groups, I find the subscription dialog to be way
> too slow. After the nntp_store_get_folder_info code has returned, and
> the complete newsgroup list is in, on my PC, a 2GHZ box, it still takes
> the dialog about five *minutes* to finally display the information, time
> during which Evolution totally locks up (apart from also consuming a
> huge amount of memory).

if the subscribe dialog already freeze()'s and thaw()'s the gtktreeview
when adding nodes to the tree, then this performance problem sounds like
a GtkTreeView bug. Otherwise we need to add freeze/thaw. I'll check up
on this in a few minutes.

> Maybe the best approach would be not to show all groups at once, but to
> have a search dialog box or a tree structure or something, or the
> subscription dialog should be optimized to be able to handle large
> amounts of folders. Are there any easy solutions for this?

I'd rather not have to resort to this. perhaps (assuming freeze/thaw
doesn't help) we can do some sort of chunking - adding a handful of
nodes and then giving gtk time to breathe and then adding a few more.

> Another thing: quickly looking at em-subscribe-editor.c, I found there
> is no difference between the initial loading of the folder list and
> subsequent loadings with the "Reload" button from the subscription
> dialog. For news servers that don't support the NEWGROUPS and DATE
> command, this would mean every time the dialog pops up, the complete
> newsgroup list needs to be loaded, which might get a little irritating
> after a while, especially if it remains this slow. Do you think this is
> acceptable, or should I look whether I can do anything about it?

you might look into caching the result of the folder list query.

Jeff