Re: [Evolution-hackers] calendar implementation (Partly OT)

On Thu, 2003-04-10 at 18:12, stephen farrell wrote:
> CAP is vaporware.  Why not just enable the IMAP store to save calendar
> events?  Accepting an appointment would just be a matter of adding a
> header to the mail that contains it.  Creating your own appointment
> would be done by putting the message directly into the IMAP folder.
> There are performance implications (IMAP servers don't know the
> semantics of events, so can't be queried for all events within a time
> range), but they can be worked around in the short term by leveraging
> the local cache and in the long term by extending IMAP to support more
> search semantics.
>
> IMAP supports the basic requirements (network storage of messages with
> sharing support), and of course there are many robust free imap
> servers out there.  FBURL support doesn't come for free, but could be
> shoe-horned in with a simple cgi script.
>
> I know this has been talked about before and "someone dismissed
> it"... but if HTTP PUT and webdav can suffice in the real world for
> many people to publish calendars, then surely a protocol that supports
> shared folders, storing events in multiple folders, could be made to
> work.

this makes much more sense than extending IMAP. It should be really easy
to write a CalBackend-based class which, via gnome-vfs, allowed the use
of remote calendars via any protocol supported by gnome-vfs. In fact, we
could even make the cal-backend-file work for this, since it uses
gnome-vfs itself. It would be just a matter of fixing the places where
it assumes it's local.

cheers