Re: [Evolution-hackers] calendar implementation (Partly OT)

CAP is vaporware.  Why not just enable the IMAP store to save calendar
events?  Accepting an appointment would just be a matter of adding a
header to the mail that contains it.  Creating your own appointment
would be done by putting the message directly into the IMAP folder.
There are performance implications (IMAP servers don't know the
semantics of events, so can't be queried for all events within a time
range), but they can be worked around in the short term by leveraging
the local cache and in the long term by extending IMAP to support more
search semantics.

IMAP supports the basic requirements (network storage of messages with
sharing support), and of course there are many robust free imap
servers out there.  FBURL support doesn't come for free, but could be
shoe-horned in with a simple cgi script.

I know this has been talked about before and "someone dismissed
it"... but if HTTP PUT and webdav can suffice in the real world for
many people to publish calendars, then surely a protocol that supports
shared folders, storing events in multiple folders, could be made to
work.

Also, the innovation potential is large -- email provides a huge
wealth of state information for people.  It's common for people to
send themselves todo items, documents they don't want to lose or they
want to access remotely, etc.  If appointments and mail were tightly
coupled, then it would be easy to do things like create a todo item
*inside* an interesting thread of messages, transform an email that
says "let's meet next tuesday" into an appointment, or annotate email
by using the same primitives as threading (namely "references").  Why
just be a clone outlook?

Here's the classic "email as habitat":
http://www.sims.berkeley.edu/~nicolas/documents/Ducheneaut-Bellotti-Email_as_habitat.pdf

And this guy seems to have some good ideas too:
http://www.imedia.mie.utoronto.ca/~jacekg/pubs.html