Re: [evince] what missing functionality is this document using?

For the record, I'll document some problems I had trying to fill out
this government form.  (I mention "government" because I don't like
proprietary programs being forced on me by my government.)

The Govt of Canada is generally pretty clueless about linux support. However, if you submit questions to your MP about online govt tools that don't work with linux, the heat does get put on the bureaucrats (speaking from experience).

However, in this case, the passport office is being perfectly reasonable in using a standard, documented feature of PDF (javascript), so it is best to help get evince improved.

The fonts in my Linux system must be a little different from those
that the pdf creator used: text didn't properly fit in boxes.  But
it was "close enough for government work" as they say.

File a bug upstream, with screenshots of the problem:
http://bugzilla.gnome.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=evince

When I went to save the filled in form, I got a warning that the
form was encrypted and Evince refused to save it.  I sure would have
liked to know BEFORE I went to the work of filling it in.
I googled and found that this was a known limitation.
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/evince/+bug/492959>
So I unencrypted the document:
	qpdf --decrypt original.pdf unencrypted.pdf

Again, best to file a bug upstream, linking to the launchpad bug.

- Mike