Re: [evince] what missing functionality is this document using?

Hi,

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 5:26 PM, D. Hugh Redelmeier <hugh mimosa com> wrote:
> [My first post to this list.  Thanks for Evince: I use it all the time!]

Thanks for using evince :)

> I'm trying to fill out this form.
> <http://www.passport.gc.ca/form/pdfs/pptc054.pdf>
>
> On page 5, there are things that look like blue buttons.
> In Adobe Reader 9 on WinXP, they are blue buttons.
> In Evince on up-to-date Fedora 14, they don't function.
>
> The buttons images show up when Evince prints the document.  I don't know
> if that is true for AR9.
>
> 1) what feature of PDF are these buttons using?  (Pure guess: JavaScript.)

Your pure guess is good, this doc has javascript and evince does not
currently support javascript

> 2) is Evince (Poppler?) going to support this feature?

We are trying to work on adding Javascript support with Ryan Lewis, so
hopefully in the future will be supported, but no promises of if of
when it will supported.

> 3) is there any way for a user to know that some feature of a document is
>   not being rendered by Evince?

The only way is the natural one, open the pdf with Evince and
acroread, I am not aware of any other method.

Greetings

José