Re: About Evince on Windows

On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 5:31 PM, Kim Wong <iorikim2012 gmail com> wrote:
> Dear Sir
> I am honestly on Ubuntu and then I think the document viewer is user
> friendly very much!
> Therefore, I try to find evince and want install it on Windows environment!
> As its usage easily, I installed evince on Windows 7 RC 64-bit.
> Although the icons are still old school, I am impressed that Windows can use
> this document viewer! Just like Apple Preview!
> Would you mind still update evince for Windows and keep hard for the
> development?
> Nowadays, too less choices for a clean and comfortable viewer! Evince is the
> best one!
> If the new version can integrate with Windows and has a nice icon design.
> Most user will try it! At least the I.T. staff will test for it first!
>
> Thank you!
>
> Best Regards
> Kim Wong

Hello Kim,

Thank you for your nice words on the Windows port of Evince.

It is my intention to continue to develop Evince for Windows. The
current version is only the very first release for Windows. A lot of
things can still be improved.

It is good to hear that it works well on Windows 7 64-bit. I had only
tested it on Windows XP 32-bit, so that it works on other platforms as
well is very nice.

As for better integration with Windows 7 and icon design, I think that
most of the look and feel of evince is handled by gtk+. The current
installer includes a gtk+ theme with the look and feel of Windows XP.
It might be possible to replace this theme with a Windows 7 variant,
but I do not know if such a theme is already available. Also, I do not
really know what Windows 7 looks like, I have no experience with it,
so I really have no idea how outdated the icons are. If available, it
should be fairly easy to add an other icon theme to evince that
matches Windows 7.

Kind regards,
Hib Eris